I'm glad we could spend time together today in my office. I'm Dr. Greg Oliver. My job is to partner with you to improve your health and help you achieve your wellness goals. Our focus is on assisting you to achieve your ideal body weight and to reduce any excess body fat. A secondary goal is to manage your aging process so that you can live all the years of your life with vitality.
Many of us struggle to drop the extra pounds. We blame ourselves for being overweight. Well, certainly we are responsible for what we eat and how much activity we get, but we are pre-programmed with genetics that contribute to how easily our body gains or how slowly our body loses fat. I call these genetic factors our "Fat Genes". I have the fat genes. How can you tell if you have the fat genes? Take a look at your family. Your Grandparents, parents, aunts, and uncles size and shape will most likely be similar to what your body is trying to accomplish as you age. For some that's not a pretty sight.
Great news! We can Crush our Fat Genes. We can beat the tendency to gain weight. It takes 5 things to Crush these Genes. When most people try to lose weight, they focus on only 1 or 2 of the 5 things. To break the gain/lose, gain/lose cycle all 5 things must be included in a lifelong plan.
So, what are these 5 things. 1. Nutritional changes ( the diet ) 2. Physical activity ( exercise ) 3. Metabolic Imbalances ( How are body functions ) 4. Hormonal Imbalances ( The substances that tell our body what to do ) 5. Our Psychology ( How we think and feel about food, diets, exercise, and ourselves )
1. Nutritional changes must be simple, taste satisfying, and lower in calories, while reducing both carbohydrates and excess fats. The best diet in the world is the one we can stay on. We must have smaller portions of food, spread out over the day. We must eat within an hour of awakening. We must avoid getting the bulk of our calories in the evening. We must avoid any place where we get food through the car window. We must also avoid drinking our calories ( Sodas, energy drinks, specialty coffees, most smoothies )
2. Physical Activity has amazing potential to make our bodies healthy. A major study revealed that 150 minutes of exercise a week can reduce your annual risk of dying by 47%. Wow, and that's dying from any cause! I know, you're not currently exercising. I know, you have a treadmill at home and a gym membership. Well, it's time to start. Get a step tracker ( FitBit for example ) and start very slowly with a daily increase in steps. If you can do this consistently, you will eventually be burning up the treadmill or becoming a recognized face at the gym.
3. Metabolic Imbalance, for weight loss purpose, is our body's inability to utilize fuel efficiently. It comes in the form of elevated glucose, high triglycerides, low good cholesterol, large waist circumference, body fat % over 30, BMI over 30, sleep apnea, and a host of other body function problems. It can be detected during a chat with your Dr. ( or me ) and some simple blood and body measurement testing. I will discuss this in detail in future "Office Visits".
4. Hormonal Imbalance deals with any irregularity of our hormones. Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone, Cortisol, Insulin, Thyroid and others. If there is a problem with any of these, weight loss is nearly impossible. Getting these hormones measured and corrected, if need be, can ignite your fat burning capacity.
5. Psychology refers to how we feel about our weight, food, diets, calorie and food restriction. There are six psychological factors that can hinder our weight loss efforts. We screen for these with a verified psychological test. A cognitive/behavioral therapy guide is then provided for each of our patients based on their findings. If we can change the way we think, we can change the way we eat. You know...Think Thin!
I'm glad that you've allowed me to be your Doctor today and I thank you for joining me. I look forward to our "Office Visits" in the weeks to come. Oh! Next time, I'll see less of you.